Sharing you the things I have learned during my Office Secretary days…
- The most difficult task that could be written on anyone’s job description is: “Accomplish other tasks that may be assigned from time to time.”
- Smile. It matters.
- When the phone rings, stop whatever you’re doing and answer it immediately.
- When things are going too familiar, step back.
- Gossiping about whoever is part of everyone’s job description. But it is the only part of your job description that is optional.
- You should be able to master the art of pretending to be doing something especially if your boss is around.
- Your office mates may be smiling at you but that doesn’t mean they like you.
- Always bring a tumbler with you. And if you want to look classy and professional, make sure it’s one of those overpriced Starbucks tumblers. Opaque one with the words, “Starbucks Coffee” engraved or printed on it.
- Complaining won’t do you any good. Just shut up and do your work.
- Drinking coffee while doing work makes you look busy, mature and professional.
- It isn’t really a sin to laugh with your boss and to talk with him about things not related to work. Just know your limits. He’s still your boss.
- Maximize the use of office supplies.
- Don’t mind gossips about you. So long as you do your job right, you’ll be okay.